Winter is here! Be prepared to encounter fog, high winds, rain, freezing rain, blowing snow, and icy roads. These hazards can not only substantially decrease your visibility, but they also reduce traction and stopping distance.
Below you will find some extremely important safe driving tips for extreme weather conditions:
- Make sure that you conduct proper pre-trip and post-trip inspections to ensure that your equipment is safe.
- Make sure that your wipers work properly.
- Clean the snow and ice off of your fifth wheel to ensure proper hooking.
- Clean the snow and ice off of your windshields, side windows, mirrors, steps, and grab handles
- Wear sunglasses on bright sunny days to avoid snow blindness.
- Buckle up. It’s the law and it saves lives.
- Avoid distractions – PUT YOUR CELL PHONE AWAY!
- Get off the roads when conditions are too bad to drive.
- Keep a survival kit in your vehicle.
- Watch or listen to weather reports for the areas you are traveling in so that you can prepare for winter conditions.
- Slow down on slippery roads and in low-visibility conditions.
- Increase your following distance in poor conditions.
- Avoid using cruise control on slick or icy roads.
- Do not brake harder than necessary on slick or icy roads.
- Use your headlights so that you can be seen by others.
- Stay alert and avoid fatigued driving.
- Continuously scan the roadways so that you can react properly to other motorists’ actions.
- Allow snow plows the right of way so that they can clear roads.
USTDTS wishes you safe travels this winter!
I’m still learning from you, as I’m making my way to the top as well. I absolutely liked reading everything that is written on your blog.Keep the tips coming. I enjoyed it!
Hello.This post was really fascinating, especially since I was looking for thoughts on this topic last couple of days.
These are very helpful tips. ere are many things I do not know yet, like most of this.
Great tips! I’m still figuring out this whole thing. But it helps a lot.
Thank you for bringing such topic into light, I really loved the concept of your article. Thanks for sharing this information. It’s a great source of knowledge; I think it will be helpful for lot of people who are looking for learning more about extreme weather driving tips.
An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a
colleague who had been conducting a little research on this.
And he actually ordered me lunch because I discovered it for him…
lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending time to talk about this subject here on your website.
The Winter season is at its peak and it’s really hard for me to drive on slippery roads and especially when they are fully covered with snow in the morning. I was looking for some tips and I am very thankful for this informative article. It’ll help me a lot Thanks.
“Excellent article. I certainly love this website. Continue the good work!
It helped when you shared that we must ensure that wipers function accordingly. I want to obtain a driving license so I’m planning to take driving lessons. Hopefully, there is a training facility near our place so I can visit them easily.